The course starts at 09:30 sharp, with a brief theory session discussing the correct handling techniques, safe removal protocols, and the importance of crowd control.
We then move onto the practical session where we will be covering the use of snake tongs and buckets and snake tongs and tubes we will then move onto tailing venomous snakes and practising real life snake removal scenarios.
Snakes used for the handling session vary but we usually make use of the following species: Puff Adder, Mole Snake, Cape Cobra and/or Boomslang / Rinkhals
The African Snakebite Institute will supply all equipment needed for delegates to use during the snake handling session (hooks, tongs, buckets and tubes).
The course starts at 09:30 am sharp.
We break for a light lunch at around 13:00 and snake handling takes place from around 14:00.00
The course usually finishes by 15:30 (suggested and not exact time)
Delegates should wear long trousers and closed shoes. On hot days please bring along a hat.
The Snake Handling Bootcamp costs R1450.00 per person and includes coffee/tea and a light lunch.
The full amount will have to be paid prior to the course to secure your attendance.
Cancellation policy: There are no cancellation fees for changes or cancellation to your booking 48 hours prior to the course date. For cancellations or changes within 48 hours of the course date, we charge a 50% cancellation fee and for nonattendance on the day of the course we charge a 100% cancellation fee.
Certificates and course material
Each delegate will receive a course certificate, First Aid for Snakebite booklet as well as a full colour A3 Dangerous Snakes of Southern Africa poster.
PLEASE NOTE. All successful delegates will receive a certificate. Please ensure that we have the right name and surname as it will appear on the certificate. If details are provided incorrectly another certificate will have to be issued and sent by courier and will cost R250.00
The minimum age for our Snake Awareness, First aid for Snakebite and Venomous snake handling course is strictly 14 years old – there is no maximum age.
- Please note, prior attendance of an ASI Snake Awareness, First Aid for Snakebite and Venomous Snake Handling course is a prerequisite for anyone wishing to attend this course. Please forward a copy of your certificate to Ashley when making a booking.
- No spectators are allowed during the theory session, this includes children. Spectators (including children) are welcome to watch the snake handling session from a safe distance, but please ensure that spectators, especially small children, do not interfere with the training in any way.
- Cell phones: The use of cell phones for text messages and calls is not permitted during the awareness or handling courses and may only be left on for emergency calls.
- Delegates that do the venomous snake handling will have to sign an indemnity prior to the practical session. Those below 18 years of age will have to have a parent or guardian sign the indemnity.
- The course price includes a light lunch – usually mixed sandwich platters – for anyone with strict dietary requirements, you’re welcome to bring your own lunch or Cradle Moon do have an on-site restaurant you can make use of.
Presenter details and accreditation
Our courses are presented by Johan Marais, one of Africa’s leading herpetologists with over 40 years of experience. Johan is a FGASA approved service provider and accredited by ISZS (the International Society of Zoological Sciences).
Johan is a prominent author of snake books in Africa and has written the best sellers A Complete Guide to the Snakes of Southern Africa, Snakes and Snakebite in Southern Africa and First Aid for Snakebite. He is also the snake expert for the Tygerberg Poison Centre and the Red Cross Poison centre, as well as an advisor on snakes and snakebite to various hospitals and clinics throughout Africa.
Course Information & Booking
Complete the fields below to book your spot!
Please note, prior attendance of an ASI Snake Awareness, First Aid for Snakebite and Venomous Snake Handling course is a prerequisite for anyone wishing to attend this course. Please forward a copy of your certificate to Ashley ([email protected]) after making your online booking.